For the amateur astronomer, it provides an observation planner, a sky calendar tool, and an FOV editor to calculate field of view of equipment and display them. Find out interesting objects in the "What's up Tonight" tool, plot altitude vs. time graphs for any object, print high-quality sky charts, and gain access to lots of information and resources to help you explore the universe! Included with KStars is Ekos astrophotography suite, a complete astrophotography solution that can control all INDI devices including numerous telescopes, CCDs, DSLRs, focusers, filters, and a lot more. Ekos supports highly accurate tracking using online and offline astrometry solver, autofocus and autoguiding capabilities, and capture of single or multiple images using the powerful built in sequence manager.
KStars is probably the most feature-rich free astronomy software. KStars caters to a wide-variety of use cases. Whether you are a student, an educator, an amateur astronomer or an astronomy enthusiast, you will find tools in KStars that are useful to you.
Short summary of important features:
- Graphical simulation of the sky with the planets, up to 100 million stars, 10000 deep-sky objects, comets and asteroids. Adjustable simulation rate.
- Access to several internet resources for information, imagery and data
- Complete astrophotography workflow
- A host of tools that predict conjunctions, plot time variation of positions of planets, perform calculations etc.
- Powerful observation planner to plan your observations.